Five Simple Habits To Happy
Updated: May 27
I am often asked if I am a Christian, to which I respond 'I am an Eckhart Tolle'. Those who have read Eckhart will now understand my further response here, 'no further explanation needed'.
1. Depression comes from focusing on the past, anxiety is making up stories in the future. Now is the only time we have. Stay present. When 'time travel thought' comes in, label it - future or past, then let it go and bring yourself back to the present. To NOW. (If you would like to learn more, please read 'The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle').
2. Every day write down a list of 5 people you are grateful for. Make sure you write it down.
My example for today:
- Paulo Coelho - For the inspiration and insight I gained from 'The Alchemist' during my allocated daily reading time today.
- My Children - For todays opportunity of growth and learning - If I am honest with myself, I can learn from my children, as I see what I like about them and what troubles me about them in their own behaviour. They are, after all, a reflection of me.
- Ian Hall (Hall All Contracting - Earthmoving) - For his message early this morning that reminded me there are genuinely good people in this world and not everyone is out to get me.
- Sarge - Just for the way she answered the work phone this afternoon when I called that made me laugh so hard. She never fails to make me genuinely belly laugh from deep within.
- Suzie - For inspiration, and the need to listen to myself.
3. Surround yourself with people who inspire you. You are the 'average' of the five people you spend the most time with. Are you happy with the people you are choosing to be around?
4. Sleep - 'The General who wins is the one who sleeps the best. Alexander the Great used to nap before battle.'
Poor sleep kills mood, motivation and inspiration. Energy is the trump card to success. When you sleep better you accomplish more. It takes less time to do things when you are fresh. Being smart does not prevent you from getting dementia, poor sleep habits is brain aging acceleration. Make sure you sleep at least 55 hours per week minimum.
5. Holidays - Plan your life around putting holidays first. It has been said before 'no-one on their death bed ever wished they had spent more time at the office'. Your attitude determines your altitude.
Here's to bringing more joy into your life.